Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fashion Diva - NOT

Don't know if I have mentioned the fashion divas in Ukraine. Short skirts and very high heels, the women are beautiful and apparently take their appearance seriously, though it sometimes comes across a little tartish. I have pointed this out to John although apparently he has not noticed - hmm. I tried to fit in yesterday by wearing fashionable sandals and after falling up the stairs on our way out of the metro - I may have to go back to walking sandals. Yeah, it was a little embarrasing - the kids would have been mortified. Not only do we look like the corn-fed Americans, but I can't even dress cool - getting old stinks! We had our appointment yesterday with the inspector and notary. Again, they both went without incident and today we meet with the Orphanage Director. We have been looking forward to this meeting as she should have much more information on Viktor's bio family. The inspector said he has only been registered for adoption since 2005, which is odd because he has been in an orphanage for so long. John and I made spaghetti last night with seasoning packets we brought from home. We bought what we thought was ground beef but Zhenia told us it was ground veal. I am not a veal eater so we bought meatballs that were beef/sausage and used them instead. Now, for all my stand on not eating veal, there is no telling what I ended up eating in the combination meatball. Anyway, John cooked and it tasted great. We are kind of adjusting to the time change, although we fall out about 4:00 everyday for a couple of hours go to bed around 12:00 and wake up at 5:00. Thanks to everyone we have heard from, it makes it seem like we are not halfway around the world. I will try to post after our meeting today, but internet access is a bit spotty. Lisa, pictures are John's department so I will tell him to get on it!! XOXO -Cassie & Phillip
Here we are at the SDA on the morning of our appointment.
St. Andrews church. SDA building is directly to right of the Church behind the trees.

Inside of St. Andrews Church. I'll flip the vertical pics from now on.

Making spaghetti and mystery meatballs at the flat.

Below: Enjoying my first afternoon in Keiv. Sleep just came upon me, I was helpless.

No comments: