Thursday, September 11, 2008

Rats, Hamsters and Gerbbles oh my

I've staring at this blank blog space for about 10 minutes now. I have such a hodge podge of things to tell you that I don't really know where to begin.

Viktor and I have established a good routine as we live out a rather interesting version of the ODD couple here in Kiev. I am thankful for this opportunity to bond before everything gets turned upside down for him in the states. It will give him an anchor point at least from the standpoint of knowing Mom and Dad a little better, so he isn't swept away as he tries to acclimate to life in a new and somewhat strange place. Our communication is combination of English, Russian, grunts, pointing, and scharades.

We are getting to spend alot of time with several of Viktor's friends from O-21 that attend the trade school right around the corner from our flat (apartment). These kids, which have just graduated from the orphange are trying to adjust to life outside of the internat. They are basically responsible for themselves at this point. This particular school is one of the nicer of the schools that Sharon and I have seen. It offers training in the finacial trades and it is located in a nice part is Kiev. That being said, these 15 and 16 year old children are pretty much on their own. It is not surprising to me that when Viktor's friends aren't attending class they are here looking for him. At this point, these kids who grew up with Viktor at O-21 are more family that I am, so I want Viktor to spend as much time as possible with them before he leaves for the states.

From what I can tell, these young people get 38 grv ($8 US) per day to live on while at the trade school. That's $56 US per week and that covers food, clothes, personal items and anything else they may need or want. Imagine if your 15 year old were forced to budget their life on that amount of money. Needless to say when we see a need, we try to meet it. For the past week we have had a small entourage when we go out and get lunch or dinner. I even subject them to my cooking. Haven't had any compalints as of yet.

The day before yesterday Denis, Vlad, Viktor and I were eating dinner at the flat. Viktor looks at me and says, "Denis wants a rat". I pass Denis the plate of bread thinking Viktor was telling me that Denis wanted another roll and that rat came out instead of roll which is what they sometimes call bread. Denis looked confused at the offer of the bread. Denis makes the buck toothed mouse face and says Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mouse. Vlad, who understands and speaks the most English in the bunch speaks up and says, Denis would like for you to buy him a rat. Thru much grunting, gesturing, scharades and consulation of the Russian to English dictionary I discover that Denis wants a Hampster. Hey, he wasn't asking for money to buy cigarettes or alcohol so who was I to say no to the request. My next problem was where do you get a Hampster in Kiev. There aren't any Walmarts or pet stores in the malls. I leave this problem up to Viktor. I look at him and say "Kooda" (where) and he points to a place on our city map thats not to far away. I next ask him "Skolka"(how much), and he said 25 grv (~$5 US) for hampster, cage and box of food. No problem, we tell Denis to come back tomorrow after school and we'll go get him a hampster. The request for this small pet was not lost on me. The next day Denis shows up after school for the much anticipated trip to Hampsters-R-Us. Valla has come along with Denis. Valla graduated from O-21 with Viktor. We think that Viktor likes her but he wouldn't admit to it when Zhenia asked him about her. I give Viktor some money for the hampster plus some extra to get them all some McDonalds for lunch and off they went to find the hampster. They return a little while later and ring the door bell. It's Valla, Viktor and Denis, with TWO cages. Viktor and Denis come in while Valla waits out in the landing. Viktor and Denis both sit on the couch with cages in hand. They couldn't find hampsters so they had to settle for gerbbles. Viktor looks very happy with himself. I become very concerned. I said Denis could have a rat, not you. My mind was scrambling as I thought of how to tell a very pleased looking Viktor that he couldn't have a rat, gerbble, or hampster with us first discussing it. I call Zhenia for some translation help but he didn't answer. I tried to explain that momma would kill both of us if she came back and found gerrbles in the flat. Our son has a sense of humor. After he let me dangle on the hook just long enough, he got up and went out on the landing and handed the cage to Valla who had been patiently waiting for the return of her new rat baby. He got me good. I'll get him back just you wait and see.


The Odd couple enjoying a Fat House dinner.

Part of the entourage for the evening meal. The young lady is one of the teachers from the internat named Victoria. She visits the O-21 grads at the trade schools and helps with the transition.

Vlad, Victoria, Viktor and Denis

Denis's and Viktor's tray at the Fat House. Not a scrap was left when they finished. Keep in mind that Viktor is 5'3" and weighs ~ 125 lbs soaking wet. Oh...I forgot that they all went back for dessert when they finished eating plus we stopped for ice cream on the way back to the flat.

3 comments:

The Currys said...

I will only guess who is Oscar and who is Felix. Practical jokes huh? He just doesn't know who he is dealing with, guess he came to the right family. Miss you guys like crazy. Can't wait to see you, better when everyone is home. Enjoy your sleeping, it is scarce once you return.

All my love
sharon (mom)

BrendaStrider said...

Hello Currys!!!! I learned of your blog and your journey through Janet Mitchell and Debbie Kennedy and I am SO excited for y'all!! We sure do miss y'all here in the burg....have you heard about our incredible new pastor at Temple....good times are coming!!! Take care and know that I will be praying for you and your new son as you complete all of the frustrating paperwork necessary to get him home to the US! He is a mighty blessed kid to be with such an awesome family!!! Good to see your smiling faces again!!! Brenda Strider

Anonymous said...

Excellent parenting skills! You got lucky Viktor is a jokester because Sharon would have probably risked jail time smuggling a rat on an international flight rather than tell her new son that he couldn't keep his new pet. Well, it looks like all those early years of cooking for us are really paying off now. It's wonderful you can continue to minister to the other kids from the orphanage. Love you and hope to see you soon!
Lisa & Bart