Saturday, September 6, 2008

We're both from Mars, just different neighborhoods

OK your going to have to bear with me. I'm blogging with BlackBerry (CrackBerry) today. No internet service in the flat today and we haven't updated in the past couple days. To late to go to the internet cafe so I'll just muddle thru on this tiny little keyboard with my big brain surgery hands.

Sharon had to travel home to deal with some issues with the home we are trying to sell in MS. Seems the upstairs AC unit has gone bad causing it to leak water and cause the ceiling in the kitchen to cave in. There is suppose to be an inspection performed on the house next week. And the hits just keep coming.She'll be back for the court hearing and then she'll stay until the process is complete, somewhere around Oct.8. I am catching the first flight out after the court hearing, hopefully the 20th. I am not looking forward to leaving them here. Therefore, it's just us guys right now.

It's very interesting getting to know our new son. We waited what seemed so long for him to be with us and now here he is. Now, I know full well about being in the honeymoon period, but my impression after four days is he's just a nice kid. He's seems to be pretty laid back. So far he has been very polite and helpful. I know, I know, this is a very artificial environment that we're in right now. Luckily I already have one great teenage boy so I know the drill. Viktor likes pretty much the same things that Phillip likes. Food, sleep, Video games, girls, cars, sports and cell phones, not necessarily in that order. He likes to play games and he picks up new games quickly. He's competitive but not in a take my marbles and go home kind of way. He is very organized. As I stated in the previous blog, all his worldly belongings were packed in one blue and black duffle bag. What I didn't tell you was how meticulously it was packed. All the clothes were folded just so and stacked neatly. Yesterday I went into his room to get him for breakfast and he was packing his things into one of the suitcases that we had brought with us. It was like he was saying OK I'm ready to go home, I've got all my stuff packed into your world now. I think we'll ditch the duffle.

On the first morning I asked him for any dirty clothes that he wanted washed. He brought me the Tennessee hooded sweatshirt that we brought him when we visited over Christmas. I just think he wanted to show me that he still had it. It's well worn but he still has it.

He likes a wide variety of things to eat. He has gotten something different each time we have gone to the Fat HOuse. He even mixes it up at the McDonalds each time we go. He'sa big chiken fan. I am happy to report that he is not a big dried fish fan. A lot of dried and pickeled fish is eaten in Ukraine. He's a compartmental eater. He eats all of one thing before moving on to the next. He'll eat all his potatoes before moving to the salad which he finishes before moving on to the chicken Kiev. It's all business at dinner. He's normally finished well ahead of me at meal time with his dishes stacked neatly in front of him, because I'm a circular/random eater and it requires much more wasted movement to eat.

OK, that's all I can type on this little keyboard for now. I know that a lot of readers of this blog have been calling and expressing concerns about the timeliness of the entries, so I promise that even if I don't have internet access I will endure typing on this miniature key board so you can continue to get your daily adoption blog fix.

Stay tuned for tomorrow I go to play soccer with Viktor and his friends and then Viktor will show me where the emergency room is.

Until then.........

6 comments:

The Currys said...

Great blog, thanks for the update. Hope things will go as well when I am there. We love you and miss you tons. Can't wait till we are all together in the same state. Maybe you can teach Viktor the "is that a booger?" game. Please tell Viktor we are all practicing ping pong so we can give hime some competition.

You loving and devoted wife

The Currys said...

hey dad i love u alot and cant wait till i get to see u

your "great" teenage son( we'll see how long it lasts)

Cassie said...

I'm glad you gentlemen are making it. Please tell Viktor that I am very excited he eats one thing at a time and then cleans up the plates, etc. I DO THE SAME THING! Yah for new additions to the family. :D Can't wait to see you both. Sending our love, Gary & Cassie

NotTheMama said...

AAHHH!!!! I found your blog, trying to see if I could find out some info about a boy who lives (lived?!) in Orphanage 21. I saw a picture of Zhenia on your blog, and he is the translator that came to America with the group Denis came with. Is there any way at all, that you guys could find out if Denis Tsmekh is still at Orphanage 21? I have prayed for him so much over the past few years. I was supposed to receive some letters he had written to me the last summer I saw him in America, and I had to leave to go home before Zhenia got back from shopping. It is amazing that I found your blog, and you are actually in Ukraine right now!!! I am excited for your family, and especially for Viktor!!

The Hennesy Family: Trace, Stacie, Lauren, Ryan, Megan, and Kaitlyn said...

John-

We are holding the fort down for you at Heil-I know you would much prefer to have your family back in the states and be back at work at crazy Heil, but try to continue to focus on your new son and soak up the experience-it will one day seem like a lifetime ago and you will look back and remember fondly (I know it is hard to believe now) the memories you are creating.

We will pray for your house in MS and for Sharon as she travels. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help with that-MS is not far from BHam, and I can head over there for whatever you may need until you get back.

Tell Viktor hello from Ryan and the Hennesy family, and that we have so many things planned back here in the states between him and Ryan that he better hurry and get back here before he falls behind! Beginning with a boy's Talladega experience in early October-so there is your deadline to get the (&(*%^*^%## back here!

Take care and enjoy the Fat House!

Trace and the Hennesy family

Anonymous said...

Well, we will have to teach Viktor how to mesh his food together. I think we should start with meatloaf, mashed potatoes and peas! I hope that things continue to go as well as they have been for the two of you and I hope that the news from MS isn't as bad as it sounds. Miss all of you and can't wait to see you.