Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Adrift in Kyiv

If you have ever seen the movie "Groundhog Day", this is the odd life we are living right now- same routine every day. Nothing new to those of you who have gone through this, but a weird existence as we wait in limbo for further adoption action. We are kind of getting used to this new "normal". I am getting better at lighting the stove without burning my thumb, getting used to rough towels from drying on the line (good loofah), washing dishes by hand is not so bad when it's only for two, and not knowing exactly what kind of meat you are buying can be adventurous. We sleep on the sofa bed in the living room because the real bed is not an option - feels just like sleeping on box springs - wood, wire springs, no cushion. In fact, we call the sofa our life raft. We eat, sleep, watch DVD's, play games on this life rift - adrift in Kyiv while we wait for the rescue ship to take us back to civilization. I am very lucky to have a great cook with me. John has whipped up some tasty meals - even with mystery meat! I have mentioned that we try to get out and walk/explore the city every day. You would probably think by these writings that the walks were consensual. They are more like forced marches inflicted upon me every night by my husband. First of all, I could easily stay inside for a couple of days - almost agoraphobic. Mostly, it is the freak show I provide the people of Kyiv every time I walk out the door. We didn't really notice the first few days as we were awed by the city and its sights. Gradually it dawned on us the strange looks I would get as we walked. The women would stare at my shoes (walking sandals not stilettos) and the men would just stare - not sure why as I am kind of plain compared to the Ukrainian women. John does not get these strange looks so I must just look very, very American. We try to keep our voices down in public so I don't think our speech gives it away. John stated tonight that he would be lucky if I didn't go "postal" before the trip was through. I would really prefer to blend, and try to except for the aforementioned sandals. I really miss the kids though John and I are enjoying the time together - we will have been married 20 years in September and we are fortunate to have this opportunity to remember why we like each other. Sometimes God's ways are not too mysterious!! Thanks to all of you who are loving on our kids while we are away. The emails I get usually come at the exact time we need encouragement (thanks Mrs. Wilson , Mary Kay, and my sisters). No new news on the adoption front (oh yeah, that's why we are here). Zhenia did get word to Viktor at camp that we are in Kyiv and working hard to get him here with us. We are supposed to find out about a court date by Monday (hopefully 11th or 12th). The orpanage director won't let Viktor come back from camp until we have a court date. Technically, I understand due to liability issues, but he has graduated and will be turned out in September so we are really fighting the "it's not fair" feeling. We'll keep you posted. XOXOXOXO- Cassie & Phillip

3 comments:

The Hennesy Family: Trace, Stacie, Lauren, Ryan, Megan, and Kaitlyn said...

Sorry to hear about the delays in seeing your new son-but I guess it will be that much more special when you finally do get to give him a big hug.

Just know John and Sharon that we are praying for you and your journey, and God is no doubt in control. So enjoy the ride, as unpredictable and up and down as it may be, and enjoy the fact that you are not walking all over that enormously spread-out city in snow, ice, and freezing cold like the last time you were there (and the only time I was there).

Let us know if you need ANYTHING AT ALL. We would be happy to do whatever we can to make you feel less worried about what is happening back here in America.

Ryan was going to call you and Viktor on Monday, but then when I got your e-mail John I told him he might want to wait a few days.

Trace

David&Suzanne said...

People staring at you, not fitting in - are you in Roanoke by mistake! You can do it walk tall and be strong. It will all be worth it. Be safe and come home soon. Thanks for the updates. We miss you and wish you the best. Much Love, Suzanne and David.

Anonymous said...

I called Cassie to read her your blogs since she doesn't have access to the computer. When I called I found out she was at Steve's Landing with Danny, Heather and Mema...mmmm, how great would some of their ribs be right about now? So...learn as much and take in as many sights of the country where your new son is coming from, he will enjoy seeing pictures and hearing your stories of his country when he gets older. I'm very happy to hear that you are enjoying each other's company, it would make for a long trip if you didn't! Miss you guys and can't wait to meet my new nephew!! I will probably be writing more to convey messages from Cassafrass.