Sunday, August 3, 2008

Our first Setback

Saturday evening, we were getting ready for Viktor to join us the next day. We received a call from Zhenia with some disappointing news. Viktor would not be on the train on Sunday and probably would not come to Kiev until Wednesday. Now, we have been told enough and have read enough blogs to know that international adoption is unpredictable and wrought with uncertainties. Maybe since the paperwork was going so smoothly we thought we were immune to what others had experienced - apparently not! We don't know the real reason for the change of plans, but are praying that he will be able to come on Wednesday. Usually families who are adopting get to spend at least a couple of hours with their kids each day at the orphanage - we haven't seen or talked to Viktor yet at all during this trip. I have never prayed for patience- I know better. But just because I didn't pray for it doesn't mean that God would not see this as a need for me. Or, it could be that John needs more patience and it is all his fault (i like that one). We have been getting out more and even went shopping for some essentials for Viktor. It is amazing how much you can do with a few russian words and creative charades with the sales people. We attended church yesterday and enjoyed the fellowship with some fellow Americans who were here on a mission trip. The church we attended is holding a VBS next week and another group of Americans are supposed to come help, maybe we will be able to help too. Have I mentioned that I miss my kids? We talk every day - some days are good and some are not. I know that soon this will all be a memory of our time apart but every day when we pass the Aerosvit office on our walks, I think of the day we will go buy a one-way ticket for Viktor and schedule our flight home. Thanks to everyone we have heard from. I eagerly check our blog and e-mail each morning for any communication from home. All our love to Cassie and Phillip. Phillip, dad is really missing someone who appreciates the high-end cars driving around Kiev. I know you are a tough kid, but don't do too much too soon until your foot heals. Cassie - I keep your card with me and read it every day- everlasting sun in my heart!

Taken from the window of our flat for Phillip. The car in the rear is a Mercedes 550 AMG and the car in front is a Maybach 57 (or 67). Together these tow automobiles costg more than most of our homes.

Stone statue street performer along Khreshatyk. Cassie, we know you will like this one.

Hanging out some laundry at the flat.

Lots of beautiful parks that we pass during our evening forced marches around the city. Sharon just loves our evening strolls.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey There!

I love your family and I love what you are doing.

Your blog is so funny and so touching. Oh -- and regarding socks, I so love white socks that I buy a dozen pairs of the same style at the same time so I'll always find a mate. It is amazing how precious the simple things can become when not readily available.

For Viktor (and your whole family):

Jeremiah 29:11 NIV -- "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I couldn't find Ukrainian, but here's a Russian translation from Bible Gateway (http://biblegateway.com/):
Иеремия 29:11 (Russian Synodal Version) -- Ибо [только] Я знаю намерения, какие имею о вас, говорит Господь, намерения во благо, а не на зло, чтобы дать вам будущность и надежду.

God bless your journey!

-- Sunny