Friday, August 15, 2008

Sitting on Ice

Time to play a little catch-up on my blogging. I wish I had great news to share but I do not. Things seem to be going in slow motion with promises of tomorrow or the next day only to be pushed out again. The judge we drew for court has posed a bit of a problem. We are supposed to be careful about what we put on the blogs - though most of you can read emotions between the lines. We did not get the judge that Zhenia likes to work with, instead another judge got our paperwork on Monday. (Remember we had rushed back from camp in order to be in Kyiv to get a court date - hopefully this week). The judge told Zhenia to come back on Thursday so she could have time to look over the documents. When Zhenia returned on Thurs she said she needed a letter from the US Embassy saying we had permission to bring an orphan into the US. Zhenia has never had to have this letter before and keep in mind we already had a (very expensive) form giving us permission, in our dossier. You may remember me mentioning that Zhenia had completed our necessary forms for court in record time. As the judge requested this new letter she told him "you won't be able to get this so fast". Well, the US Embassy did get it done by the end of business day on Thursday and Zhenia got it back to the judge that same afternoon. This morning we were anticipating the call about our court date - praying for one next week. She told Zhenia, "congratulations on getting the document so quickly, but I still need time to research the dossier and I don't know when I can give you a date". Zhenia will have to check back on Monday (8/18). After court is a mandatory 10 day wait, followed by 5-6 days of completing documents that can only be done after the waiting period. We are anxious for at least a court date. BTW LOTS of crying on my part - what a helpless feeling coupled with the fact the director will not let Viktor come to kyiv until we have a court date. Strung along a day or two at a time is no fun. Viktor is sitting on ice at camp, having already graduated, having no family - I'm sure they have his best interest at heart.

That mild weather that greeted us in Kyiv is gone - it is very hot here. No A/C, so we keep the windows open at all times and I am covered in mosquito bites although I slather myself with OFF before we go to bed - I am the sacrifice apparently because John hasn't received bite #1 and I look like I have the Chicken Pox. 3 days ago we had to contact the landlord because the internet was not working and we really needed a fan. She came today - interesting that when we called her last week to tell her we had the rent ready- she was here within the hour. John is still performing excellent cooking feats - even french toast with strawberry syrup he made from Jam. Phillip and Cassie started school on Wednesday. Cassie loves 4th grade and getting to ride the bus while she is staying with Mema. I don't think high school is as bad as Phillip thought it would be - but not as fun as summer for sure. He played in his first football scrimmage yesterday. Caught all the passes thrown to him(3) as the wide receiver, made a good tackle as defensive end and played a couple plays as a linebacker, which is a new position for him, breaks our hearts that we missed it. Both my kids have requested that I return home. If only they knew how I ached to do so. We still feel we are fulfilling God's desire for us to adopt Viktor. We are dismayed by the delays and uncertainties. Every night (and day) I play in my head greeting the kids at the airport. So far, this day, it is the nadir of our existence in Kyiv. Mom sent us some names of missionaries in Kyiv and I may try to contact them today. Zhenia also has another family coming in on the 18th so maybe we will have a little company. Have I mentioned I miss my kids. I will try to make future blogs a bit more uplifting, don't want this to become one big complaint log! Please keep us in your prayer as this is getting hard. XOXOXOXOXOXO- Phillip and Cassie

2 comments:

Cassie said...

God is gracious and He works in truly mysterious ways sometimes. The good news, the thing you can look forward to, is getting Viktor and then completely having him.... flying back to the States and completing your Curry Clan. Don't lose heart, it will happen and though it seems like you've been in that horrible place for far too long, it will all be over soon. :D We love you both and look forward to meeting an even newer addition to the family than me! :D

Always,
Gary & Cassie Lange

Anonymous said...

A mutual friend introduced me to your blog. . . I hope you don't mind. . . I been so amazed by your story and have been so humbled by what you and your family are doing . What a blessing you are to Viktor and what a difference you will make in his life. . . Thank you for reminding me that there are people in this world who are turly generous and loving and who exemplify the love of Crhist. I will be praying for you and your family. . .